By Daniel Chigunwe
HipHop Rapper, music producer and Zimbabwean based in SA of the Black Panther music label has called upcoming to embrace the many channels of distributing their work to create an organic audience especially in this era
where airplay does not come that easily.
Known by his trade name as Mc Kid, the rapper who hails from Kwekwe and thrives on irony by separating his trade name from his official identity said he has gone through ups and downs in the showbiz industry but the road is now smoothening
“ Mc Kid is an identity that I kind of embody when I am doing music, when I am in the studio, when I am interacting with artistic ways to express myself be it in every kind of talk, love money or relationships, economy, politics and society.
“ I started producing music as earlier as in 2009 when I was still learning how to make music and what I was doing between school and music was not really for income or competition but was just a matter of expressing myself,”.
Eight years down the line the produce released his first mix tape called, ‘Kid Behind Bars’ and is quite happy with his new rise dimensions in the cut throat competition showbiz industry .
“ my first mix tape was released after 8 years in the game, it’s a 13 track album which has a lot of issues that I speak about and one of my hit song ‘Questions’ is part of that. I have been doing this for a while, making beats and producing my own music.
“Also within the stable which I am from called Black Panther Music which I formed alongside my brother and some of my friends I have managed to breed another music producer by the name Shepherd who makes beats and I have been able to mentor other people, the likes of Brandon Bells and Uncle Sam.
Mc Kid also produced Uncle Sam’s song called “Zvakabhadhara” which was a hit on Zim local radio stations.
Of interests is the producer’s view lenses on the new distribution and marketing trends characterising the showbiz sector, in which he also describes how the radio has been overrated in attaching significance to artists.
“On distribution, yes those works have to go to the radio, however for me I feel like the radio has been overrated. I have embraced the internet platforms like YouTube, SoundCloud and other forms of crowd based services which uploads music and then I share with friends on Instagram and Facebook
“In the long run what I have been doing is that being a writer, I have a blog called ‘Write Pen’ where I use words to write short stories, poems, academic work, literature and research. I have been developing it for the past 4 years and in the long run that platform should become a hub where there is multi-media content, audio, video, pictures and short films.
“Most of the art that people produce excludes people who have different preferences like those living with disabilities, such a platform will present an opportunity for those people to enjoy and engage with my work, and hence it broadens the audience,” said Kid.

No comments:
Post a Comment